Do Blueberry Stains Come Out?-8/16/10

I sure hope blueberry stains come out because after tonight's meal, I had a few of them and so did Eyrleigh.  I've mentioned before one of the things I look about Bon Appetit is the magazine is enthusiastically thematic, sometimes to the edge of being cheesy.  Tonight was one of those borderline nights.  Grilled Salmon with Quick Blueberry Pan Sauce sounded strange from the get-go.  Blueberries are a quintessential fruit, little pockets of sweetness that seem only fitting at the conclusion of a meal.  Pairing them with a rich fatty fish like salmon seemed a gamble at best.  To be fair, the dish wasn't bad, though I wouldn't say it was really good either.  I just didn't think the flavors worked.  You could taste blueberry, you could taste salmon but the compliment just didn't work for me.  The herbs, garlic, and shallots helped cut the sweetness along with the vinegar but the taste of blueberry was still there.  I almost felt bear-like, rumbling along from the mountaintop blueberry patch to the cold stream full of fish.  Maybe that's what they were going for...
The dessert was a much more traditional use of blueberries.  The Blueberry Cobbler with Easiest-Ever Biscuits did have some really easy biscuits.  The only problem was that the use of sour cream made them chewy instead of the more expected flaky.  I won't say they were bad, just different.  The cobbler was excellent but there wasn't quite enough of it.  I got a lot more biscuit than berry with each bite and I would have preferred it the other way around.

Grilled Salmon with Quick Blueberry Pan Sauce-C
Blueberry Cobbler with Easiest-Ever Biscuits-B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

Can you say "Tsatsiki"?- 3/12/09