Super Bowl XLVII- The Desserts Win!

A small sampling of the Super Bowl desserts...complete with napkins I bought on clearance years ago
 The problem with posting your ideas for themed Super Bowl desserts after the big game is this...Will these two teams ever play each other again in the Super Bowl so I can duplicate this idea?   Chances are slim but I suppose it's possible. 
Last night's game didn't hold a lot of intrigue for me.  I'm a sports fan but two weeks before I was entertained by the possibility that my home team (the New England Patriots) and the team of my home (the Atlanta Falcons) would play tonight.  After the disappointment of neither team making it, I was a bit underwhelmed by the thought of watching two teams I've never had a particular affinity to.
Lord Baltimore "Whoopie" pies
 My solution?  Have fun with the desserts if you don't care about the game!  My dear friend had invited me to her dad and brother's home theatre store (think t.v. in the restroom kind of place) to watch the game and told me to bring dessert for about 25.   I always over bake/overcook so I couldn't just make 50 of one thing.   I decided to go with football shaped brownies as a shoe-in.  Everybody likes brownies and it's easy enough to pipe white laces on top.

Pardon the awful pun:  San Francisco Rice Krispie Treats
I wanted a little more creativity for the other options so I went to the hometowns of both teams.  I googled "classic Baltimore/San Francisco desserts" and immediately found Lord and Lady Baltimore cakes on the All recipes wevsite.  Both were large and intricate cakes, not exactly appropriate for a football buffet so I modified the recipe and got the cake sandwiches you see in the picture.  I made the cake as directed but instead of putting the batter in traditional cake pans, I spread it out on foil lined cookie sheets like a jelly roll cake.  I modified the bake time and cut out football shapes once the cake had completely cooled.  I then mixed the traditional filling ingredients, maraschino cherries, slivered almonds, crushed macaroons, lemon juice, and orange peel with a store bought can of frosting and sandwiched it between to pieces of the cake.  Voila!http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lord-baltimore-cake/


And the ace in the hole...Football Brownies!
 For San Francisco, I never found a "classic" recipe that made me think of San Francisco, though someone mentioned Ghirardelli chocolate being from the Bay area at the party.  I'll admit I went a little cheesy and am in no way claiming Rice-a-Roni as San Francisco's contribution to culinary greatness but you have to admit you get it....San Francisco Rice Krispie Treats with laces piped in red and gold.  They made great finger food for a party too. 
So Baltimore may never beat San Francisco in the Super Bowl again but they sure were fun desserts to create!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

Thank you, Blue Apron!