Can you say "Tsatsiki"?- 3/12/09

Ok, now is the time for honesty. How many of you have been at a restaurant, wanted to order something but hesitated because you didn't want the servers all laughing at you in the back about how badly you butchered the name of your wine or dish? I live in the South and people order "Gy-rows" at the Great Wraps. In fact, I just looked it up on the Merriam Online Dictionary and that is exactly what they said. I always thought the word was "he-rows" and have ordered them like that for years. Now imagine that with "Tsatsiki"? I tried to look that word up on the online dictionary and you know what is suggested instead? Testicles. Yep, could entertain a few servers for years with that one! Can you picture it? "That lady ordered Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Salsa and Testicles!" Ok, seriously, how do you say "Tsatsiki"? Do you just drop the t, like sat-siki? Or does the ts make some other sound that is not common in English?
But let's get back to my first question. I'd love to hear how many people are like me, maybe a little insecure, and have not tried a new dish or wine because you know you will butcher the word and you don't have a safe out like at the Vietnamese place where you can just order a #12. I have a feeling I am not alone.

Obviously, with that lead in, tonight I made the Chicken Gyros with Cucumber and Tsatsiki on page 99 of this month's Gourmet. This recipe is the third in the "Birds in Hand" article and uses the rest of the roast chicken I made on Tuesday. This was a really fun recipe to make but it was pretty time consuming. When it says the active time is 40 minutes, it means 40 minutes and then some if you are a slow chopper like me. This was really 5 different components that you combined to make the gyros so it got a little messy. I'd never made Tsatsiki before but it was pretty easy and I liked it. I know the purists will revolt but I thought some crumbled feta on the Tsatsiki or mixed in with the salsa would have been an awesome addition. Gyros traditionally have very salty sliced lamb and I missed that salt contrast with the Tsatsiki. Another favorite thing about this recipe was how pretty it looked. The bright colors of the tomatoes, red onions, and lettuce contrasted on the white sauce and toasted bread were wonderful and made me feel healthy just looking at it. (In a good way!) Eyrleigh loved the dish too and since her's was a little deconstructed, I included a picture of her yumming it up. Anyone up for some Greek wine? How about a lovely glass of Agiorgitiko? Say that one, wine snobs!

Comments

erin said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
erin said…
Mary Ruth! Thanks so much for your comment! I made the gyros too and loved them. I used pitas with pockets though to make them more like pitas and they were even better the second day when the chicken had soaked up that rosemary sauce. I would love to be up on your list of blogs; I'll put you on my blog roll as well.

..you can make a blog roll by going to Layout then Page Elements then Add Gadget. Some of the Gadget options are Blog List or Link List. Those both work! Happy Cooking

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10