Yes, I Can Cook on Weekends!-5/22/10

I don't usually cook on the weekends, at least recipes from magazines.  This weekend I was inspired or maybe just hungry.  I even woke up early enough on Saturday to make muffins.  Richard makes fun of my total lack of productivity most mornings so this was quite a feat.  The Chocolate Chip and Banana Muffins in this month's Food and Wine were worth waking up for.  They were basically a moist yummy banana bread with chips wrapped up in a muffin paper.   They did not take an hour to make, even though the recipe said that. 
This weekend also began the culinary tour of North Africa, with a heavy dose of Moroccan food.  The Chicken Chorba with Walnuts from the "Why French Women Don't Stay Fat" article was really simple and really good.  As you can see from my picture I paired this dish with couscous and raisins, one of my all time favorite sides.  Chicken thighs were a great choice for this dish because the richer tasting dark meat stood up to the flavors of the broth and enhanced the whole dish. 
This issue of Food and Wine had a bit of fun with hummus, using it as a flavoring agent for other dishes, but I think the best way to enjoy hummus is by itself with a few crunchy pita chips.  The recipes on page 124 was pretty simple but I did make a few flavor changes to suit our tastes.  The 1/4 cup of tahini was a bit too much sesame for me.  I reduced the amount of tahini and increased the amount of lemon juice and paprika.  I also added a bit of water to make this hummus a bit softer.  Great simple recipe to make use of my new food processor!

Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips-A
Chicken Chorba with Walnuts-A-
Easy Hummus with Tahini-B

Comments

SLW said…
Yay new food processor!

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10