Ode to Guedo's- 5/21/10


Nothing beats Guedo's tacos. Sorry, they just can't. This classic taco stand on the corner of Chandler and Arizona in ironically the city of Chandler, Arizona is my all time favorite taco place. I lived in Chandler for 4 years and went to Guedo's almost weekly. If you ever are in Phoenix, it's worth the trip a few miles south to Chandler. If you're lucky, you will arrive during Ostrich Festival to add to your joy.


Today I made the last two taco recipes in this month's Food and Wine Taco World article. They had nothing on Guedo's. The first taco I actually made for lunch, just for me. The whole concept of the L.A. Gas Station Taco struck me as a bit too odd to try for dinner. In retrospect, I made the right decision. Don't get me wrong, these tacos aren't terrible. They are just a combination of things you could buy at 7-11 or QuickTrip. These tacos were filling but for me, the flavors and textures didn't really work. The beef jerky really threw me off but I've never been a fan of beef jerky. It was too chewy and you were chewing it 5 minutes after the rest of the taco. I will admit I left off the pork rinds. I hate pork rinds! There was just too much going on and way too much gloppy cheese. (Are you with me? Processed American cheese is a textural nightmare.)
The second taco was the Fresh-Chorizo-and-Potato Tacos. Richard mentioned quickly that these would make great breakfast tacos. I agreed. The potato was more of a breakfast taco addition and I plan to heat up the leftovers in the morning for a variation of red flannel hash. These tacos were very good and had good spice but they were heavy.

I added a light summer salad that I will certainly make again. The Santa Fe Quinoa Salad was excellent. I replaced the cilantro with zucchini in this simple salad and it worked great. You could replace just about any fresh and colorful vegetable and it would work with the lime and cumin dressing. The cocktail onions were a brilliant addition with the right amount of tang. Can you tell I really loved this one?

L.A. Gas Station Tacos-C

Fresh Chorizo and Potato Tacos-B+

Santa Fe Quinoa Salad-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10