You Can't Eat Just One-4/14/10

"Have you ever had just one pistachio?" If you recognize this line, you've watched the popular "NCIS" show a few times too. I'm not a big t.v. watcher. I watch sports and the "crime drama" shows and that's pretty much it. With the crime dramas, I have a pretty quick trigger. If things get too graphic or involve crimes against women or children, I turn them off. I don't want nightmares from my t.v. I didn't have a television growing up and I have trouble remembering that the events on a show are not real. I'm good enough at creeping myself out in a dark house at night, I don't need someone else to help me.
You may be wondering what the television tangent has to do with tonight's meal but it does relate, sort of. I've been charging through this month's Bon Appetit article "The Great American Cake". We are not even to Tax Day and I have just one cake of the six left to make. Tonight I made the Lime Angel Food Cake with Lime Glaze and Pistachios. I was quite intimidated reading the recipe with all the sifting, folding, and 10 egg whites. (No clue what I'm going to do with the 10 yolks now!) But really, this was a pretty easy cake. A stand mixer and the battery powered sifter I totally laughed at when I got it saved me a ton of time and babysitting. Looking at the cake in the magazine against mine, I think I could have chopped my pistachios even smaller, to almost dust, but other than that, mine was a pretty good replica. It tasted fantastic. I've always found angel food good but a bit dull for all the work but the lime glaze and crunchy pistachios really worked on this dessert and it stood up to my spicy dinner dish well.
For dinner, I made the Paneer Curry with Peas on page 89. I haven't found a local grocer, Asian or otherwise, that reliably carries Indian products so I took the suggestion of the article and replaced the paneer with chicken. I could have also used tofu to keep the meal vegetarian. This dish was an excellent introduction to curry. The flavor was mild but distinctive and almost any meat could be used in place of the paneer. The addition of peas is very common to curry and added a fresh flavor and texture. Served over rice, this was a simple meal that didn't use many dishes or take much time. And yes, you got more than one pistachio in every serving!
Paneer Curry with Peas-A
Lime Angel Food Cake with Lime Glaze and Pistachios-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

Thank you, Blue Apron!