Bunny Joy-4/4/10

I go a little crazy with Eyrleigh's Easter basket. When I was a kid, my parents felt it was important to focus on the more religious side of Easter. I remember going to church early in the morning to celebrate the sunrise and Jesus' resurrection. I don't remember getting an Easter basket, except one year when we spent the Easter weekend at my aunt's in Alexandria, Virginia. Now, as an adult, I see my parent's intent as a noble one but I can't deny that I always felt a bit left out. The baskets are just fun! They are fun to make, fun to get, and help to celebrate the joy of the day and the spirit of the season. The year Eyrleigh was born I had her name embroidered on a basket and we fill it to the brim each year. One of her favorite surprises in this year's basket was the little magnetized bunnies she holds in the picture.
There was an Easter menu in this month's Bon Appetit but because of the arrival of my parents and a busy weekend, I just made a few recipes and used Honey Baked Ham to fill in the gaps for Easter dinner. My first recipe was not for Easter dinner at all but for the rush before we all headed off to church. My dad and uncle were the only two who rose early for the sunrise service. The rest of us slept in and needed as much time as possible to get ready. The New York Style Crumb Cake was a perfect answer to breakfast on the run. The cake was yummy, though a bit dry but the strangest thing happened. The crumb topping sunk to the bottom. I can't explain why. I put it on top, I swear, but when I took the cake out, the crumb topping was on the bottom of the pan and was incredibly difficult to cut through. Any thoughts as to why this happened would be greatly appreciated because I am completely at a loss.
The two recipes I made to go along with Easter dinner were a great match to the Honey Baked Ham my mom and dad bought. The Sisi's Corn Pudding in the Easter menu was simple to make and tasted wonderful. This recipe is a real keeper. The corn was creamy and baked up beautifully in the time called for. I loved this dish.
For dessert, I made the Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake with Vanilla Glaze and Strawberries instead of the recommended Cream Puffs. This was a decision based on time and ingredients more than preference. I found the bundt cake a bit bland. I dressed it up a little for the holiday with pink coloring in the glaze and some pastel peanut M&M's but this was not a real showstopper of a dessert. The strawberries helped a bit but I still felt the cake was a bit dense and dry. I liked my little eggs around the top though. How very festive of me!
New York Style Crumb Cake -C
Sisi's Corn Pudding -A
Vanilla Bundt Cake with Vanilla Frosting and Strawberries-B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Am Benedict Arnold-5/3/10

Comfort Food for a Rainy Day-2/4/10