Wednesday Night Glam-2/17/10

When I write out my menu for the month, I try to avoid putting recipes on the weekends. Weekends are very unpredictable. I never know exactly what we'll be doing and want to leave room for spontaneity. Saturdays are Richard's long training days for triathlon and Sundays are church and small group. I don't want the schedule of our day to be dictated by what we have for dinner. So this month, I've made Wednesdays our glamorous meal day. Thankfully, tonight's meal could be made quickly (with a make-ahead last night) because I took Eyrleigh to a playdate at 3:00 and didn't get home until 5:30.
The main dish, the Beef Tenderloin Medallions with Potato "Risotto", was a very easy dish. The "risotto" was really diced potato and tasted as creamy as the real thing. The steak was rubbed with thyme, salt, and pepper and grilled. I will certainly try the potato trick again, even if I have real risotto in the cabinet. This way was faster and did not require constant stirring, something difficult with a needy 2-year-old whining after her nap.
The dessert was the real glamorous part of the meal. Last night I quickly put together the mousse to chill overnight. This recipe made a relatively small amount of mousse so I knew it would be rich. The three other components of the dish were pretty easy to put together tonight. The chocolate ganache and reduced port cut some of the intense sweetness of the mousse and the tang of the whipped creme fraiche was refreshing. This was a simple dessert but had wonderful complexity of flavor. I would order this dish at an expensive restaurant. Humm, do you think anyone would pay to come eat this at my house? Ahhh, heck, you could come for free!

Beef Tenderloin Medallions with Potato "Risotto"-B+
Milk Chocolate Mousse with Port Ganache and Whipped Creme Fraiche-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10