Still Surprised-2/16/10

When I got the idea last February to make every recipe in the current issue of one of my favorite cooking magazines, I knew that doing every recipe would be difficult. Some recipes have unique ingredients that are difficult to find and sometimes rather pricey. But I felt it was important to try to make every recipe. I knew this would mean making recipes I would not otherwise make, recipes that used ingredients I didn't like or seemed strange. Tonight, I made a recipe from Bon Appetit that didn't strike me as particularly exciting. I wouldn't say there was an ingredient I didn't like in the Egg-Topped Soba Noodles with Asparagus and Prosciutto. I just didn't think this dish would be as good as it was. This dish was good, really good!
The buckwheat soba noodles were flavorful and had great texture. I'll be honest, I thought they might be gritty and they weren't at all. The Parmesan and prosciutto gave a rich saltiness and the asparagus gave a fresh crunch. The fried egg was a wonderful topping bringing the dish together and making it filling. Richard said it best when he said he could eat this dish once a week. A great surprise!
I added an appetizer when I made this menu because I was afraid the soba dish wouldn't be enough. Obviously it was, but the Coconut Shrimp I made with it was pretty good too. The recipe was easy and the shrimp retained its flavor. The coconut panko breading was light and crunchy. The only thing that I thought would improve this dish would be a dip suggestion. There was no suggestion but I think hoisin sauce or another soy based sauce would have been a great addition to this recipe.
Egg-Topped Soba Noodles with Asparagus and Prosciutto-A
Coconut Shrimp-B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10