More Dumpelings, Please!-2/5/10

I mentioned in an earlier post that Eyrleigh is not the best eater, particularly in the evening. Over the last two days, I've started getting cocky. She absolutely loved last night's Shepherd's Pie and then tonight, she asked for more dinner for the very first time. She loved the dumplings in tonight's Mushroom and Leek Soup with Parsley Dumplings. I had made the Light Vegetable Broth earlier in the day and used that as the base for this vegetarian soup. The mushrooms gave the soup a filling, earthy flavor. The leeks were mild and were a bit overpowered by the mushrooms. The dumplings were the best part. They were easy to make and puffed up beautifully. They were not doughy at all, a fault of many dumplings. I wish I'd made a few more dumplings. They were gone long before the soup was.
The Rustic Pear-Cranberry Tart we enjoyed for dessert was probably one of the easiest, best desserts I've made for this project. This recipe used refrigerated pizza dough to simplify the crust. The filling was simple and the right mix of the sweet pears and tart cranberries. Richard just raved about this one and I'll be putting this one in the repertoire for a quick delicious dessert. I did make one creative substitution that worked just fine. I didn't have red current jelly but I did find some prickly pear cactus jelly. Right color, right flavor, just a different plant. Eyrleigh didn't ask for more dessert but I think by that time, she really was full.

Light Vegetable Broth-B
Mushroom and Leek Soup with Parsley
Dumplings-B+
Rustic Pear-Cranberry Tart-A


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10