Am I A Food Snob?-9/23/09

What classifies one as a food snob? Is it the type of food you eat or the type of food you refuse to eat? Richard knows I get very disgusted by the thought of eating at most buffet style restaurants. I don't like the idea of food sitting out for extended periods of time before I eat it. That's not really being a food snob. That's just simple food hygiene.
Richard also claims I am rather adverse to some classic country dishes that he just loves. White gravy, for one. I find it totally revolting in both texture and taste. But I can appreciate a good PB & J, the epitome of everyone's food. I guess a food snob is just a regular snob, who carries their snobbery into what they eat.
Tonight's meal was not very snobby. Just chicken wings, Caesar salad, and some rummed-up pineapple but I'll make it sound a little classier in my evaluation. I made 3 recipes from the June issue of Gourmet that I never got to finish because we traveled the whole month. I began with the Peach-Lacquered Chicken on page 56. These were very simple wings broiled with a sticky peach sauce. The sauce adhered well and was very good. It had a good mix of hot and sweet. The only problem was that I didn't buy enough wings. Two pounds of wings still isn't a lot of meat.

The Basil Caesar Salad on page 58 was also a very simple, traditional Caesar recipe with one addition, basil leaves. I like basil but didn't find that it added much to this salad. The anchovy, lemon, and Parmesan flavors are pretty strong and the mellow basil, though noticeable, did not make a significant change in flavor.
At the last minute, I added the Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar, Coconut, and Rum from page 60. I obviously won't finish June's recipe by the end of September but I wanted to fit in a few more before moving on to October. This dessert was a bit too heavy on the rum. It overpowered the other flavors. The curry added a nice depth but again, I think a little less rum would help the fruit flavor shine.

Peach-Lacquered Chicken Wings-B+

Basil Caesar Salad-B

Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar, Coconut, and Rum-B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10