The World of Food Blogs- 3/11/09

I got the idea to write a blog about my experiences with cooking magazines from Richard who writes a detailed blog about his training for triathlons and marathons. I'd never read a cooking blog before this evening. The Epi Log, the blog for epicurious.com, had a post about being thrifty at restaurants and waiter's reactions. There was also a list of blogs that epicurious.com likes. I looked through them and found a couple I liked too. My three favorite blogs were Chubby Hubby, The Food Section, and The Amateur Gourmet. Most of the blogs were by big names in food writing and had lots of advertising on them. I don't see this blog going that way. I think I'd need more than 6 readers.

Last night I roasted two chickens as the recipe recommended so I had a roast chicken left over to shred for dinner tonight and tomorrow. I made the Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna on page 98 of this month's Gourmet, the second recipe in the "Birds in Hand" article. This was a Bechamel lasagna, meaning the sauce was a blend of milk and roux. I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge fan of Bechamel sauce. It's often bland but in this lasagna, it worked. The dish called for Gruyere cheese instead of the traditional Mozzerella and the stronger flavored cheese worked well with the milder sauce.
It also used no-boil noodles which I've used before without much success. The Barilla brand noodles that the recipe specifically called for are short flat noodles that softened up beautifully with no precooking. Richard and I like the dish a lot but I think the cheese was a bit too strong for Eyrleigh. She had to be convinced to eat more than just a few bites and she usually loves pasta dishes.
On my original menu for the month, I didn't have a dessert planned for tonight but I decided to add a dessert recipe I had originally scheduled for later. I didn't want to load too many desserts into one week since it takes us a few nights to finish a dessert and I hate to throw food out. I saw raspberries on sale at Super H Mart yesterday so I made the Chocolate Raspberry Clafoutis on page 49. I'd never had a clafoutis and the description is accurate. It IS a cross between a custard and a cake and I'm glad it said that in the description. It didn't look cooked when I pulled it out of the oven but it was firm when I cut it after it cooled. The baked part was not overly chocolaty so the melted chocolate on top was a nice addition. The description said that cherries are the traditional fruit but the tart raspberries were excellent in my opinion. Since it's my blog, I guess that's the opinion that counts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10