Hold On... I'll Blog After Another Bite-8/24/09

When I was in college and needed to pull an all-nighter to finish an assignment, I had a go-to solution. I'd buy a bag of those Brach's Caramel Cubes and every 20 minutes or so, put one in my mouth and suck on it until it was gone. I'd get enough of a sugar rush to keep working but not too much to make me jittery and lose focus. Well, tonight I found these caramels in ice cream form. The recipe for Salted Caramel Ice Cream on page 84 of this month's Gourmet is probably one of the best ice cream recipes I have made. Smooth, rich, and almost overwhelmingly caramely (if that's a word!) but absolutely delightful. I ran down to get another bite while writing this blog just to make sure it was as good as I remembered.
I did make dinner tonight or I would have a serious stomachache right now. I made the Tomato and Corn Pie on page 42. This was a great summer recipe. The crust did not require chilling which really sped up the process. (Though I can see why you usually chill dough. It was insanely sticky when pealing it off the plastic wrap.) The mayonnaise lemon sauce and melty cheese complimented the fresh tomatoes and corn in the pie. The crust baked up well and looked very pretty considering how sticky it had been coming off the plastic.
Richard has been ramping up his triathlon training in preparation for his 70.3 race in Augusta in September so I've been trying to make each meal more substantial. I didn't have an August recipe to add so I went back to those June recipes I haven't made. I made chops with the Pork Spice Rub from The Last Touch. This rub called for a tablespoon to a tablespoon and a half of chipotle chili pepper. Way too much! The heat of the chipotle overwhelmed all the other flavors in this rub and made the sensation of lips burning the predominant feeling.

Salted Caramel Ice Cream-A

Tomato and Corn Pie-B+

Pork Spice Rub-D

Comments

SLW said…
I like the heat, but I guess most do not :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

Can you say "Tsatsiki"?- 3/12/09