Baby Bella = Cremini, Who Knew?-8/18/09

I pretty much read everything in my cooking
magazines. Not to be nerdy, but it's kinda a
matter of pride to make sure I read the Letters to Editor, the random information often at the front end of the magazine, and even the informational stuff at the end that tells you where to buy less common items and the how-to of some techniques. I really don't know why I didn't know this before. Cremini mushrooms are just Baby Bellas. I guess I'm not really that unique, the guy at the grocery store told me they didn't have any cremini when I asked and I'm pretty sure they had Baby Bellas. I found them the next day when I knew what to look for. Is it just that Portabella mushrooms are a "popular" mushroom so it sounds cooler to call them small Portabellas?
Tonight I made the companion recipes on page 56 of this month's Gourmet, the Grilled Herbed Potatoes and the Grilled Rib Eye with Indian-Spiced Mushrooms. The potatoes were good but it's a bit time consuming to grill individual potato slices. The herb-oil was great and would work on boiled potatoes too, though I guess there wouldn't be those cool grill marks. The rib-eye was simply grilled with salt and pepper. The mushrooms were really good. I actually used only 1/2 the mushrooms called for but made all the spice sauce and I loved it. It had spice and a little heat. The paste covered the mushrooms well and helped spread the flavor evenly. Great simple meal with exotic flavor.

Grilled Herbed Potatoes-B

Grilled Ribeye with Indian-Spiced Mushrooms-A-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

Can you say "Tsatsiki"?- 3/12/09