Back in the Swing-7/16/09

Here's a picture to prove we really did leave Georgia. This is us, Richard, Eyrleigh, and I, at Oriole Park in Baltimore. We arrived back in Georgia on Monday, July 13th but it took me a few days to get back in the swing. By Thursday, I was ready to start on the Gourmet recipes for July. I won't finish every one. I don't boil live lobsters so that eliminates 2 recipes right there. But I will try to do as many as I can and I started off with the Summer Salmon Cakes with Zucchini Fennel Slaw on page 56.
I've never felt very confident with "cakes" or patties of meat held together with some binding ingredients. Getting the oil hot enough but not too hot is the first tricky thing. If the oil is hot enough, the patties don't hold together right away and can start to break apart. If the oil gets too hot, the patties get too brown before they are cooked through. These patties were no easier and as the picture shows, I got the oil a little too hot. The patties were good though and the salmon was cooked well. The Zucchini Fennel Slaw was a unique twist on slaw but I found it a bit heavy on sauce and again the anise flavor was a bit like having licorice flavor in your slaw. Good, but a bit odd. That's one recipe, let's see how many more I can finish in the two weeks left in July.


Summer Salmon Cakes with Zucchini Fennel Slaw- B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10