Amateur Photography Alert!-7/28/09

Some days the pictures I post on this blog really show off the food I have made and let the reader know what the dish should look like. Other times, I think I'm just about the worst photographer on earth and a beautiful dessert looks like a blurry mess. Sadly, today was a bad picture day. On the tiny little screen of my digital camera the picture at left of tonight's dessert, the Three Layer Berry Pavlova, from page 63 of this month's Gourmet, looked just fine. After loading it to the computer, long after we had cut into and made a mess of the meringue, I realized the picture was blurry and looked really lopsided. As the saying goes, it looked much better in person. This dessert tasted great, too. I have made one other Pavlova, also for this project, and love the flavor and texture of this dessert. The only down side is that it is not good for leftovers. It gets soggy pretty quickly and after cutting, looks like it has been struck by a small bomb. Yep, that's why you get just this one blurry picture.
I didn't do a whole lot better with the other two pictures of tonight's dishes. I made the second mussels dish in a week, the Mussels Marseilleaise on page 13. This dish was just the mussels in a wine sauce so I bought a baguette to go with them. I enjoyed this dish but perhaps because the novelty was no longer there, I was not as impressed as I was by the linguine dish from last week. I made the Romaine Salad with Anchovy Dressing and Parmesan to go with this meal. This was basically a variation of the traditional Caesar salad, minus croutons. It was good and very easy. I made it even easier by using anchovy paste instead of fillets and I thought this time saver worked just fine.




Mussels Marseilleaise-B
Romaine Salad with Anchovy Dressing and Parmesan-B+
Three Layer Berry Pavlova-A-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10