Verde De Mayo-5/5/09

Today is the 5th of May but since there were no Mexican recipes left to make in May's Gourmet, I celebrated the color green. I actually didn't realize the predominance of green in tonight's menu until I began to plate dinner for the pictures but it sure did make dinner pretty. I made 2 recipes from this month's Gourmet, the Pesto Pea Soup on page 73 and the Mussels in Watercress Cream on page 79.
The Pea Soup was simple and quick. It also did not have the heavy wintry taste of traditional split pea soup but instead, tasted bright and fresh. I think the pesto was the key ingredient to this flavor and was a wonderful addition.
I love mussels but I don't think I've ever made them at home. What was most surprising was how cheap they were, only $3.99 at Super H Mart. I tend to assume things I eat rarely are more expensive and this project has gone a long way toward debunking that thought. Watercress is a very mild flavor. I thought the cream was pretty but so lightly flavored that it didn't stand out. It was nice though not to have the overwhelming amount of butter that often smothers restaurant servings of mussels. I will definitely make mussels again, though I may not go to the trouble to make the watercress cream. Unless, of course, I'm celebrating the color green.
Pesto Pea Soup-A
Mussels in Watercress Cream- B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10