Road Food... In Honor of Jane and Michael-5/18/09

Everybody has heroes. For some, it's athletes like LeBron James or Payton Manning. For others, it's those who combine talent and fame like Bono of U2 or actress Angelina Jolie. Me, my heroes like food and follow their own path like Jane and Michael Stern. Jane and Michael Stern are the authors of the Roadfood books and travel the country reviewing local restaurants that cater to the "everyman". For years, I've used their book and companion website to find great eats across the country. I don't know if I've mentioned that Richard and I are highpointers, members of a club that encourages and commends people who travel to the highest points in the United States. Together, we've been to 40 of the the U.S. highpoints and some more than once. As you can imagine, this hobby takes you to out of the way parts of our country and nothing is better than a great local restaurant.

We began Richard's business trip in San Diego, California, and nothing says "San Diego" quite like fish tacos. A little touristy, perhaps, but it had been a long time since I'd had a good fish taco and I was excited to try El Indio's take on this SoCal classic. Soon after landing at San Diego's airport, we headed to Old Town San Diego for lunch. El Indio is not out to impress with ambiance. The tables were Formica cast offs and aside from a few local photos and a large picture of Food Network star Guy Fieri who had visited the restaurant recently, there wasn't much else to decorate the place. (As an aside, I had to look up Mr. Fieri as the blonde tv chef on google.com. I'm not a food tv person and honestly had no idea what his name was, just what he looked like and that he did TGI Friday's commercials.) The place was efficient though and despite a pretty good crowd on a Sunday afternoon, our food was ready fast. I ordered the fish tacos and thought they were good, though not the best I've ever had. (Hopefully, I'll return to Chandler, Arizona soon to find Guido's just as I remember it!) Richard ordered the fish burrito and we both agreed mine was better. The fish was tender, flaky, and lightly battered. The taco was flavored with that wonderful lime juice tang and crunchy slaw filling. I liked the rice and beans too. The rice was spicy Spanish style rice and the beans had a nice gooey cheese topping. Eyrleigh liked the sides more than the taco but that's to be expected from the carb kid. Our only real complaint was the very hard tortilla chips that accompanied the meal. They were lightly spiced with chile powder but so crunchy that you couldn't really enjoy the flavor. I'm sure they are simply cut and fried corn tortillas but much too thick and hard for me and especially for Eyrleigh, who doesn't have the chew power yet to take down one of these chips. If you are in San Diego, this place is worth a trip but I bet there are some other good fish taco places around too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10