Eight Dozen is 96- 4/7/09

I am admitting here in writing for all to see that I am notorious for making too much food. Richard repeatedly asks me why I did not halve the recipe as there are only 2 real eaters in our family. Eyrleigh does not warrant a full serving yet. I rarely look to see how many servings a recipe makes and have frequently made a meal that will serve 8 for just Richard and I. Naturally, the amount of leftovers is overwhelming and most of the food gets thrown away.
Tonight, I didn't do that. I saw that the recipe for Dot's Sugar Cookies on page 79 of this month's Gourmet would make about 8 dozen cookies. We don't need 96 cookies so I halved the recipe. Well, I don't know what size the cookies would be that the recipe was intended for but with my egg cookie cutters for Easter, I only got about 25 cookies. The picture above was taken on a dessert plate so don't be deceived by the picture, these are very normal size cookies. I wish I hadn't halved the recipe. I had hoped to take about 20 to a birthday party on Saturday and after making several with Eyrleigh and her little friend Tyler tonight, I don't have enough. They were good though so I guess I'll just make more and know NOT to halve the recipe.
We didn't just eat cookies tonight, though if it were up to Eyrleigh and Tyler, we may have. Every issue of Gourmet has one or two recipes that don't fit well with other recipes from that issue. The recipe I made tonight was one of those. There are 4 recipes at the end of Gourmet this month that use ham, presumably leftover from Easter dinner. I made the Jerked Ham Corn Bread on page 114 tonight and paired it with a chili recipe from Epicurious. The chili was good, mild for the kids, but good. The cornbread, however, was not my favorite. It was quite dry and I felt the flavors of ham and jerk seasoning didn't meld well together. They just made the cornbread salty and greasy. At least I've got 14 cookies to fall back on!

Dot's Sugar Cookies- B
Cost- $7.93
Calories per serving -90 per frosted cookie

Jerked Ham Cornbread-D
Cost-$5. 60
Calories per serving-300

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10