Dutch Babies and Fig Cakes- 4/15/09

I thought about titling this post, "Even Bloggers Need a Break" but it wasn't the blogging I took a break from. This evening when Richard got home from work and Dad and I were still working on the plantings out front and dinner had not been made, the suggestion to go out to eat at Dacula Dogs, a local hot dog place, was met with great enthusiasm. My parents have been here for 6 days and I've made dinner from Gourmet for them every night. I had already made 2 recipes from Gourmet today so I still have something to write about and my dinner recipes can wait for another day.
This morning I made the last of the recipes in the "Transformers" article that uses lemon and eggs to make 5 dessert recipes. The article mentions that the recipe for Dutch Baby with Lemon Sugar could be for dessert or breakfast. I am glad I choose to make this recipe for breakfast. It is basically a large eggy pancake. It's good but not really dessert unless you dressed it up a bit with ice cream and chocolate syrup or something crazy like that. With the lemon sugar, it was a good breakfast food alongside some sausage patties. We all enjoyed it but it needs to be served with other foods, it's not a full meal by itself.
This afternoon, before the decision to bail dinner and go out, I made the final dessert recipe for the month, Frances O'Neal's Fig Cake on page 105. This recipe accompanied an article about the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Sadly, I always find these vacation articles after I've visited the locations so I don't get to take advantage of the restaurant recommendations. We were in the Outer Banks this last September and had a great time. We didn't visit any restaurants though and I wish I'd had this article before we went. The fig cake was pretty average in my opinion. It was well spiced and actually better the longer it sat. I did use the food processor to chop the figs and in retrospect, it would have been better with larger chunks of fig in the cake. All in all, some very good desserts this month and I feel I did them justice. Hooray for the baker in me!


Dutch Baby with Lemon Sugar-B
Cost-
Calories per serving-319

Frances O'Neal's Fig Cake-B-
Cost-
Calories per serving-448

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10