Southern Food I Like- 3/3/09

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm not a fan
of hush puppies and white gravy, two very traditional Southern foods. But I don't want it to appear that I don't like all Southern foods. In college, one of my roomates was from Hilton Head, South Carolina. When we visited, her dad always made a Low Country Boil, a wonderful one-pot meal of potatoes, sausage, shrimp, and corn. Tonight's meal was inspired by the "low country". The Garlicky Black-Pepper Shrimp and Black-Eyed Peas on page 50 was easy to make and one of the best recipes I've made from a cooking magazine ever. I've never been a fan of black-eyed peas but they were excellent in this recipe. The wine and chicken broth made a juicy mixture that brought flavor to the vegetables and the shrimp.
For desert, I made the Cardamom Vanilla Pound Cake on page 27. Pound cake is another very traditional Southern food. This pound cake was like most pound cakes in texture but the cardamom and vanilla beans was a nice addition of flavor. The recipe says it's better the next day. I'm looking foward to trying it tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10