The Last Recipe of February- 2/28/09

I did it! I made every recipe in the February 2009 issue of Gourmet magazine during the month of February. I had only one recipe left for today, the Hush Puppies on page 15. This recipe didn't fit well with any other in the magazine. It was published in response to a letter to the editor requesting a hush puppy recipe to go with a pulled pork recipe from the June 2008 issue. I debated getting out my June '08 issue and making the pulled pork recipe that inspired these hush puppies. But Richard had a trail race this morning and we live in Georgia. I could get authentic pulled pork at the drive-thru of The Little Barn, a restaurant just 4 miles from our house.
Let me begin reviewing the recipe by saying I did not grow up in the south. I like pork barbeque but the whole hush puppy thing I've never quite gotten, the same for white gravy. I find them dry and crunchy and well, fatty. Thankfully, Richard also ate the hush puppies I made today. He thought they were good but I fried them too long. I thought they tasted like hush puppies so I am not the best person to review them positively. I will say the recipe was super easy. I simply plopped the batter in the fryer and they looked great, all be it a little brown. All 52 recipes in the bag and written about on this blog!

Comments

SLW said…
Congratulations! I wish it wasn't an infringement of copyright to actually include the recipes because I don't get the magazines. You should do a best of review...then I can look them up online and make some tasty things.

I love that you did this!

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10