Tardy Peter Rabbit Party

 Blogging about your child's birthday party is much like giving wedding gifts.  You have a year to get it done!  Rylynn's birthday is in July and it is only February so I am well within the time frame:)
Both of my children's first birthday themes have been based on their nursery theme.  Eyrleigh had butterflies, hence a butterfly birthday.  Rylynn had Peter Rabbit and so I knew that had to be the theme of her first birthday party. 
I could not have chosen a better theme for a simple party on the road.  This year we were up at my parent's home in New Hampshire for Rylynn's birthday so I had to have simple decoration and food ideas.  My parents live in a pretty rural area so any party supplies had to be brought with us or purchased from the very limited selection at the small grocery store near them.
*While I'm mentioning it, you may notice the pictures for this blog entry are much better than any other post on this blog....there is a reason for that.  My incredible friend, Devi Knapp, travelled with us to New Hampshire and took these and hundreds of other incredible pictures.  If you live in the Atlanta area, check her out at www.facebook.com/DeviKnappPhotographyShe would be an incredible photographer for any event!*
I brought along just a few things for decoration, hoping to find some great additions at my mom's house.  I really hit the jackpot.  I know my mom keeps a lot of stuff but I arrived to see a  tablecloth she was putting away with vegetables on it.  It was perfect with a green table runner down the middle.  Mom had an old red metal watering can that we filled with flowers and the Peter Rabbit stuffed animal and book I'd brought completed the centerpiece.
   The best thing I found that tied this party together and cost me all of $5 on Amazon was a Peter Rabbit Party Book.
 http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Rabbits-Party-Beatrix-Potter/dp/0723243670
It's a delightful book with everything you would need for a simple small party.  It has invitations, place cards, puppets, and masks, as well as creative thematic suggestions for food and games.  I bought it used and nothing had been removed or damaged at all.  I included two close up shots of the masks cut out and an invitation and place card.  Just adorable!
I decided to do a brunch as the party crowd was pretty small, that's all of us minus our amazing photographer in the photo above!  I kept the brunch menu simple.   I made two fruit salads, one berry and one melon.  I had yogurt and granola in separate bowls and a frittata.   We had a selection of juices and coffee for those of us who had been up a little late cutting out masks and lettering cards!
 Every birthday party needs a cake, even at ten o'clock in the morning so we stayed thematic with carrot cake.  I seriously debated making a cake.  Devi has actually made and decorated cakes for a bakery.  In the end, we decided the cakes at Hannaford's looked really good and would take a whole lot less time!  We bought some icing to decorate them and called it a day!    They were really good too.  The smaller one made for a good size smash cake just for Rylynn.  I love the picture of her and her daddy enjoying it together.   Happy Birthday, my baby girl!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Am Benedict Arnold-5/3/10

Comfort Food for a Rainy Day-2/4/10