Take A Deep Breath-4/13/10

I've mentioned before that one of my favorite things about doing a blog that attempts to make each month's recipes from a cooking magazine is sitting down at the beginning of each month and writing the "menu". I use the term "menu" loosely because I often change the menu as I go along to fit in with the day, what I have planned, and if I get to the grocery store. Today I had a rather ambitious plan that included half the recipes from the Passover menu I didn't get to during Passover. I didn't get to the Asian market to get lemongrass and I didn't make the soup ahead so I could chill it and skim the fat for the matzo balls. So needless to say, that menu wasn't happening. I also flat out didn't feel like racing around, spending several hours finding and making unfamiliar recipes. Today was the kind of day I needed something familiar. The last few months have taken a lot out of me emotionally and I notice some days I'm just sad. Not inconsolable or overwhelmed by any one event in particular, just sad. Sad about the things I can't control, sad about the things I'll miss, sad about that any of this even happened. I realize I'm not the only one who has had bad things happen or even close to the worst things happen but some days life just gets a little heavy and this was one of those days. Cooking makes me feel better but too much just wears me out. So I made a switch to the menu and made the super easy cover recipe and called it a day. I still had four panna cottas from yesterday so dessert was done.
The cover recipe of Bon Appetit this month, the Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils, was very easy. Unfortunately, I don't have a garden right now, beyond a few potted herbs, so pea tendrils were not available. I guess I could have checked the Asian market but again, I was going for super easy tonight. The glaze was a snap to put together and the peas were simply sauteed with some ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and wine. Even I can remember this recipe for a quick weeknight meal with a side of white rice. Ahhhh, easy is good!

Salmon with Sweet Chili Glaze, Sugar Snap Peas, and Pea Tendrils-A-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

Thank you, Blue Apron!