When September Ends-9/30/09

I've noticed I've referenced song titles in the last several summary posts for the month. Music and food always go so well together. Well, let me tell you about my favorites and failures of the month of September. I will also admit to not completing two recipes in this month's issue. The first was the Cooper's Union Cocktail in the You Asked For It column. I've mentioned before that I draw the line at spending large amounts of money for less than an ounce of alcohol and since I didn't have St. Germain elderflower liqueur, this one was a no go. I also did not make the Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Ricotta on page 98. I wanted to and I tried to find squash blossoms but I had no luck. I went to several local farmer's markets and called several farm stands but they all said they are available only earlier in the season.
My two favorite recipes of the month both came from the large alphabet menus, though not the same one. The disappearing Mini Provolone Popovers from the P menu had to make the list for sure irresistiblity. Though pretty simple and standard in concept, these little popovers were a savory dream. As for the second favorite, Richard agreed with me that the Cheesy Creamed Corn with Cilantro and Caramelized Chipotle Chicken were two of the best matched recipes in the whole magazine. Though I found the corn the true standout for flavor, the way these two dishes complimented each other is an example of gourmet plating at its best.
While the C meal was exceptional, I chose the C dessert as my worst of the month. Honestly, it probably wasn't the worst overall flavor but to follow up such a wonderful meal with such a weak dessert was a true shame. The Cantaloupe and Cream Sherry Granita made a weak statement after such a flavorful meal. The Curry Coriander Shorties were really pretty good so should not be lumped in the bad dessert category but they were still pretty mild for such a great meal. I would have loved a really whiz bang finish. Like Cotton Candy Ice Cream with Cinnamon Cashew Crunch... ok, that might have been a little much but it sure does have a lot of C's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10