Ahhh, Italia-9/17/09

This is the blog post where I tell you about my incredible trip to Italy and all the wonderful food I ate there. Sadly, I can't. I've never been to Italy. I've been to much of Western Europe but never made it to the boot. Italy is a "must see" for foodies and it is on my short list of places to go next.
Just because I haven't been to Italy doesn't mean I haven't eaten some great food while traveling, though. My best travel food memory was while attending the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. I was a member of a Christian drama team that was performing in and around the athletic venues. When not in the city, our group stayed at an old villa on a hillside twenty minutes out of town. A local woman and her daughters cooked for us each day and the food was incredible. I had never eaten paella before and I will forever be in search of a dish that perfect. I would love to take Richard and Eyrleigh back to Barcelona to experience the flavors of that summer.
Tonight's meal was inspired by the cuisine of Italy. For dinner, I made the Linguine and Zucchini with Bagna Cauda Sauce on page 114. This was an excellent cream based sauce incorporating threads of zucchini. It was simple but probably one of the best sauces I've made in this project. The garlic and anchovies added good flavor to the cream sauce and the zucchini added texture and complexity.
The Italian Parsley and Beet Salad is probably one of the prettiest salads I've ever made. My hands stayed purple for an hour after making it so they were somewhat pretty too. I neglected to take the recipe's recommendation to wear gloves. This was also a great tasting salad. I have to admit I was a bit concerned that the beets were not cooked. No worries, they were cut into very small matchsticks and softened while marinating in the dressing. The citrus in the dressing worked well with the sweetness of the beets and cut some of the bitterness of the parsley.
I had hoped to make one more dish, the Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Ricotta, but it appears that finding squash blossoms is a bit trickier than I thought and there is not a good substitute for squash blossoms. I was able to make dessert though. The Sorbetto Di Uva, or in English, Concord Grape Sorbet, was extremely simple. Blend grapes, pour through sieve, and add sugar. After a quick turn in the ice cream maker, this sorbet was one of the purest tasting sorbets I've ever had. Richard said I should have just froze grapes. It had a beautiful purple color and tasted just like grapes, without the skin.
Linguine and Zucchini with Bagna Cauda Sauce-A
Italian Parsley and Beet Salad-A
Sorbetto Di Uva-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10