An Acquired Taste-9/15/09

Back in April when I made the Sardine Escabeche that went with the Passover menu, I had to google "escabeche" to help me understand this cooking technique. I had never eaten an escabeche and certainly had never cooked one. Since April, tonight makes the third time I've made this style of dish and I must say I haven't quite acquired a taste for it yet. I feel a bit like that kid that tries coffee for the first time and wonders why adults like it so much, then by age 20, can't make it through a morning without it. This dish appears to be very common among Hispanic cuisines, particularly in South America. Perhaps some of the issue is the rather strong flavors of the fish that often accompany it. Both sardines and mackerel are very flavorful (translation: fishy) and the strong flavor contrasting to the tang of the vinegar/oil marinade is quite distinct. I won't say any of the dishes have been bad. They are just... well, different. Richard asked why I make a dish that I'm pretty sure I won't like. I answer as I've answered throughout this Gourmet project. You don't know for sure if you don't try. I could always acquire a taste for escabeche in time.
That being said, I will evaluate the Minted Mackerel and Mushroom Escabeche on page 58 of this month's Gourmet as best I can. The mackerel was perfectly cooked in the time give and I was very proud of myself for having deboned the fish without mishap. The mushrooms and mint worked, surprisingly. It was a bit earthy and a bit crisp, a pretty good combination. The marinade was not too heavy and covered the fish and vegetables well. I think escabeche is growing on me.
Earlier today, I roasted peppers and sauteed the squash and onions to put together the Yellow Squash and Bell Pepper Torte on page 105. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from cooked vegetable that had chilled most of the day. Probably the strangest thing was cutting the torte. Unlike a baked torte that cuts pretty easily, this torte had large vegetables to cut through, with skin. It looked pretty bad after the first slice. It tasted pretty good but I still prefer my cooked vegetables to be warm. The basil and Parmesan was a great addition that added a little extra favor to the vegetables.
Minted Mackerel and Mushroom Escabeche-B
Yellow Squash and Bell Pepper Torte-B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10