For the Love of Zucchini-8/10/10

This month's Bon Appetit has 3 menus based completely on 3 staples of summer gardens, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes.  Tonight I played caterer again and was bringing dinner to my friends, Devi and Dan Knapp and their two girls, Sophie and Lily, ages 5 and 3.  I really enjoy this almost monthly tradition and it gives us a chance to see our good friends on a weeknight.  I try to precook as much of the meal as possible and bring everything I need, down to the salt, so I can put it together quickly with a minimum of disruption to Devi's kitchen.  Tonight I made the zucchini menu and I'll try to explain not only how the food tasted but how I packed it "to go".  The menu began with Tender Zucchini Fitters with Green Goddess Dressing.  Since the zucchini needed to be grated and drained before frying up the fritters, I actually transported the grated zucchini rolled in a dish towel.  The extra drying time was great.  I often find that anything I try to frying while still containing liquid turns into mush.  These fritters were crispy on the outside while still retaining enough liquid to make them soft on the inside.   I brought all the ingredients to mix in with me and mixed them quickly before frying.  I also made the Green Goddess Dressing ahead of time and what a simple wonderful dressing.  The fresh herb taste was outstanding.
Next came the Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan and Pine Nuts.  This almost totally raw salad is amazing.  The thin sliced raw zucchini tastes fresh but because of the slice, feels softer than biting into a raw zucchini.  The simple oil and lemon dressing compliments the flavor without overwhelming the zucchini and basil and the pine nuts add variety and crunchy.  The Parmesan is a perfect addition with its note of salt.  
The main dish was Halibut with Zucchini Salsa Verde and by now, you'd think you'd be tired of zucchini.   The zucchini in this dish is very understated with cilantro, onion and lime taking on the main flavors.  The fish was cooked simply but perfectly as the recipe stated and worked well with the salsa verde.  Neither component was too strong and they tasted good together.  The kids, who had been reluctant to try all the green on their plates, eventually took little bites and then proceeded to eat their meals with enthusiasm.  Sophie, the oldest and most skeptical, admitted she really liked the fritters and even asked for a second one. 
      Dessert was the Zucchini-Pecan Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.  Much like a carrot cake, the zucchini gave the cake a moist full flavor without using a lot of fat or butter.  The only "fat" was a quarter cup of olive oil.   Despite this healthy rap, the kids loved the cake.  The cream cheese and butter in the yummy frosting probably didn't hurt either.  Devi told me this was her favorite of my meals at her house and I had to agree.  Every component of this meal was excellent and zucchini was used in such unique and innovative ways, we didn't feel tired of it even at the end of the meal.   If you love zucchini, look no further.
 
Tender Zucchini Fritters with Green Goddess Dressing-A
Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan and Pine Nuts-A
Halibut with Zucchini Salsa Verde-A
Zucchini-Pecan Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

Can you say "Tsatsiki"?- 3/12/09