Korea Isn't So Far Away-9/30/09

If you are driving along I-85 north of Atlanta and get off at the Pleasant Hill exit, you will notice the signs of businesses will look a bit different from other parts of the United States. Oh sure, most signs still have English but above or under the English is Korean. This area of Atlanta has a large Korean population and is often thought of as Little Korea. Finding the ingredients for tonight's dinner was very easy. Super H Mart, my local Asian market, is a Korean owned company and stocks a wide variety of groceries for the large Korean population in the area.
Tonight I made the Seasoned Fried Chicken on page 35 of the June issue of Gourmet. This recipe is from the Gourmet Cook Book Club selection for the month, Quick and Easy Korean Cooking by Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee. This recipe was just what the book title advertised, quick and easy. The chicken fried up very well with the cornstarch coating. Eyrleigh ate the chicken without the sauce because of her current aversion to any spice. She thought it was great. Richard and I loved the sauce. It was much like a restaurant-style spicy sauce and you could add more spice as you desired. The recipe called for 3 tablespoons of the Korean chile past but I probably used half that. I could have used more, it was by no means too spicy, but I thought I'd be cautious with a new ingredient.
I accompanied the chicken with tofu instead of the more traditional rice. The Broiled Tofu with Miso on the very next page of June's Gourmet was a simple but flavorful presentation of the oft bland tofu. I continue with the Asian theme making the Asian Cabbage Slaw with a Peruvian Twist and Miso Dressing on page 79 of June's issue. The slaw was pretty traditional Napa cabbage and carrot with the addition of jalapeno peppers. I did not buy the dried seaweed that was optional. I've spent enough on groceries this month and the poor kid at Super H Mart was probably tired of finding things for me. The miso dressing was excellent. A simple mix with great flavor. I could thin the same mix with some more liquid and make a great Asian-style salad dressing.

Seasoned Fried Chicken-A
Broiled Tofu with Miso-B+
Asian Cabbage Slaw with Peruvian Twist-B
Miso Dressing-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10