Gourmet's Idyll Summer Menu-7/30/09

I've occasionally complained while doing this project of making every recipe in Gourmet magazine for the month about the huge menus with 10+ recipes. I think Gourmet got it right with this month's dinner menus. Tonight I made the menu titled "American Idyll", the last of the three dinner menus in this month's Gourmet. All three of these menus where of manageable size and could easily be reduced for a smaller family. The menu I made today was the largest with 9 recipes but I was able to make one of the two pie recipes at a different time and only the pie had an active time of more than 30 minutes.
Tonight's menu was a true summer classic with Mint Ice Tea, lots of fresh veggies, ribs, and pie with ice cream. Every component went together well and there wasn't a single recipe that I thought, "Why did they stick that in here?"
The menu began with a Fresh Mint Tea Julep that could be made with or without alcohol. I'm not a huge sweet tea person so I did water mine down but the mint added a wonderful freshness to the tea. The bourbon, an alcohol I usually don't like, was a good match for this tea as well, giving some kick without overpowering the mint flavor.
The Sticky Balsamic Ribs were also good, though not the best I've ever made. There is a recipe for ribs with a Cherry Coke glaze in Bon Appetite from years ago that still holds that honor. I only cooked one rack so they did not take as long as the recipe stated.. The balsamic glaze did not thicken up in the 15 minutes or so of boiling but I brushed it on anyway and it still flavored the ribs well.
The starter of Eggplant and Sun-Dried Tomato Spread was super easy and I will definitely save this one for other occasions. It worked well with a summer menu such as this one but had enough flavor to work with lots of menus, even heavier winter meals. Yum!
The sides were quick, easy, and starred fresh summer vegetables. The Corn-and-Tomato Scramble and the Green Beans with Sweet Onion Vinaigrette both had great vinaigrettes that were flavorful but did not overpower the vegetables. The Lemony Potato Salad seemed almost too simple but again, it was flavorful and filling.
The dessert of the Plum-Blackberry Pie and Sour Cream Ice Cream was a real summer treat. I've never made a plum pie and loved the combination of plums and blackberries. My only suggestion for next time would be to cut the plums in smaller slices. The recipe said to quarter the plums but the pieces were too big for a manageable bite. I had to go back and cut the plums up for Eyrleigh. The Sour Cream Ice Cream was a great variation on vanilla. It had a cheesecake-like flavor that was very smooth but had a nice tang at the end. Way to go, Gourmet, this is a great summer menu!














Fresh Mint Tea Juleps-B+
Eggplant and Sun-Dried Tomato Spread-A-
Sticky Balsamic Ribs-B
Corn-and-Tomato Scramble-B+
Lemony Potato Salad-B+
Green Beans with Sweet Onion Vinaigrette-B+
Plum-Blackberry Streusel Pie-A-
(All-Butter Pastry Dough-A)
Sour Cream Ice Cream-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hambrick's-Party of Four!-8/1/11

I Don't Boil Lobsters...July in Review-7/31/09

He Even Eats Sardines-8/24/10